Yes, smashed egg in the middle of my recently rebuilt and newly painted bay window.
Sara noticed it at breakfast. Of course I heard her saying, "Mom, look at this. What is it? How did Figaro (our outdoor cat that loves to catch birds) break that egg so high on the window?" It was one of those mom moments when you're hearing a child speak to you, but you're not really listening. I was too busy preparing breakfast for Sara and two small children and trying to apply makeup while looking at my reflection in the microwave door. I was hurrying everyone around so we wouldn't be late to Science Camp.
It wasn't until I was parking in the driveway after dropping Sara off at Camp that I noticed the broken eggshells. Now why in the world would someone throw eggs at my house and cars? What would possess someone to be so ornery? I'm assuming it was more than one kid because who would want to run around the neighborhood in the middle of the night alone? That wouldn't be any fun.
I had a choice in how to react to this. When I referred to this incident, would my family hear harmful or helpful words? Was I going to practice what I preach to them, "You need to treat others how you want to be treated." But wait, someone didn't treat my property the way I wanted it treated or the way their parents want there windows and vehicles treated! Do I have no right to be angry and seek justice? I had to examine my heart and my motives.
We did report this to the police. Later we discovered others neighbors had been visited by the same happy egg bandits that night. We washed the trucks, cleaned the window, and we now turn on the outdoor security lights before we go to bed.
". . .For God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7b
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment