We attended freshman orientation last week. My tears began during the first skit. How ridiculous. The orientation leaders, upper class men at our university, were dancing to the college fight song. Parents around me were clapping and laughing. I was trying to stop crying.
I'm at a loss. A season of unexpected grief. My home is far from quiet and my nest will not be empty for years. But my heart is lonely for my firstborn. The one who taught me how to mother now needs less of my daily care. Who will teach me how to let go?
For now, he's still here. Under our roof, in his bed at night, eating meals at our table. I want to launch him well. I'm not sure what these next few weeks will look like. I pray that as we continue to prepare him, (I do need to teach him to iron) that our words and actions will lead him to more independence from us and dependence on Jesus.
"My son, if your heart is wise, my own heart also will be glad; and my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right." Proverbs 23:15,16
No comments:
Post a Comment