Today was our final everything, from room service, dinner with our new friends in the elaborate dining room, show in the theater, to writing to you from the cigar lounge. It’s been an absolutely dreamy week with Rob. The sightseeing, the balcony overlooking the Mediterranean, our undivided attention for each other, the uninterrupted conversations, dreaming of the future, it has all been wonderful. At the most unexpected times we would realize where we are and become emotional, overwhelmed by God’s story of redemption and restoration that we are living. It’s so humbling to know that He knows the desires of our hearts and delights in bringing them to reality. Sometimes I’m not sure I want to be known that intimately by a God that’s sometimes not safe, but always good.
This morning we slept until room service knocked on the door, got up long enough to let them bring in the tray of breakfast, then went back to sleep for 3 more hours. It was wonderful to sleep until we were finished sleeping. We ate our cold breakfast for lunch J then began repacking our bags for our trip home. We left our room to get a snack at the Promenade CafĂ© and walked around the ship. We saw new things because this is the longest we’ve been onboard. Every time we arrived in a new port, we would go into the city to sightsee, so we’ve not spent much time on the ship. We played miniature golf at the stern on one of the upper decks. From that high in the air, we had a great view of the Sea. It was a little hazy, but spectacular none the less.
We went back to our cabin to get ready for dinner. The menu tonight had a Mediterranean theme. We had Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, Tuscan Bean Soup, Coq Au Vin, and Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Truffle for dessert. I have no idea what Rob ordered, mine was so delicious I did not pay attention to his servings at all.
I wanted to tell you some odd things I discovered on this trip. First, European bathrooms are quite interesting and different in each country. Most of the toilets have no seat. And you never know how to flush! Sometimes it’s a button on the wall, other times it was a pedal on the floor. I heard people talking about some public toilets where it cost .50 cents in Euros to use the facilities. We didn’t experience that.
Then there were the gypsies. Again, we were not accosted by any, but we saw some from a distance. The women wear long, gathered skirts and the children hide under her skirt. Several of the children will run out and surround you, put a newspaper in front of your face to confuse and distract you, then pick your pockets and quickly run back under the woman’s skirt. It would all happen so fast you wouldn’t know what hit you until it was too late.
The stores and businesses close for lunch everyday from noon until 3:00 or 4:00. The Europeans take their time at meals. So do the waiters. That’s probably why everyone has to take such a long lunch break. But I can not complain about any food we ate in any country. Even though it was all so different everyday, it was all delicious.
I’m not sure what the life expectancy is for these countries we visited, but it’s probably a long, healthy life because the people walk everywhere, UPHILL!!! I can’t imagine Rob’s F-250 driving down any of these cobblestone streets. J All the cars are very small, (they must not have as many children as we do) and there are little motorcycles buzzing around everywhere, and bicycles, too.
Their idea of air-conditioning is different over here. If it’s turned on, it’s turned up high or the motors don’t blow the air with any force. We fanned ourselves with our hats a lot. It wasn’t too bad. They say that the summer’s here can get really hot.
Now I want to learn a second language. We could make out some words on different menus and road signs. I’ve heard that learning by emersion is the best way. That means another, longer trip abroad is needed. J
We must disembark at 8am so I’ll stop writing for now. Tomorrow night we’ll be sleeping in London. Wow, what a birthday!
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” - Jeremiah 29:11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment